Saturday 22 March 2014

Off to Ypres



Women of Britain say Go! – And I am! Off to the battlefields on Monday morning in search of the men of Crawley who fell in the infamous Ypres Salient.

I have eighteen names and two graves to find during the trip so I have my work cut out for me. There will be a lot of rushing about, hope I’ve got time to sample the local beer!

Delighted to hear that Crawley Town Council are organising the planting of poppies on Saturday 5th April 2014 at 10:00am. Not sure I am going to be able to  make it as I am working that day but hopefully it will still be going on by the time I get there.


The photo below, which reached me via Twitter, dated 14th October 1914 shows British troops marching through Ypres – hope I can do them justice.


No comments:

Post a Comment